Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use Service Magic? If so how is your success in winning leads from them?

I found that once I got a successful website and did some cost per click advertising on some search engines most customers found me online anyways. In face I was charged for several leads where customers had already contacted me through my own website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have never used Service Magic but know some who do and it seems like a love hate relationship.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be great if the customers are good.. but sometimes they aren't. I've purchased a few leads only to have the customer never call me back. So I waste all that money to get their name and phone number with no return.

It can be good though. Just depends on your company I guess.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cole said:
For instance yesterday, I received a Service Magic lead, I called the customer and she had no clue what Service Magic was.
Wow, that is bad. I had a lot of problems with people not calling me back. What a pain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nathan said:
Wow, that is bad. I had a lot of problems with people not calling me back. What a pain.
Nathan, I have had that happen numerous times with people not calling back.

I understand that they have to make money to keep the site up etc... but when I get a lead I expect to be able to contact the customer and give an estimate. If I lose the job because I was too high, that is fine but I have had at least 5 leads that I didn't even get to contact the customer and they Service Magic wouldn't give me a refund.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cole said:
Nathan, I have had that happen numerous times with people not calling back.

I understand that they have to make money to keep the site up etc... but when I get a lead I expect to be able to contact the customer and give an estimate. If I lose the job because I was too high, that is fine but I have had at least 5 leads that I didn't even get to contact the customer and they Service Magic wouldn't give me a refund.
I have contacted them and received an refund before however it takes a lot of time and is not practical to do all the time. It makes the service useless if I have to do that too often.

They are not a house hold name and mostly just buy leads off of search engine cost per click programs. If you can do the same thing with your business and have a good website i think your better off.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have recently inquired about Service Magic. I bombarded them with questions. My largest concern wasn't the quality of the leads. My concern was how many and who else was getting these leads. In my area, there are a couple of companies that can pass Service Magics "pre-screened contractors" test but I personally know that although the are insured and licensed, they hir illegals and I can't bid on level ground with these guys. Of course, the salesman tells me that when he searched my zip code, that there weren't any other Power Washers recieving leads. Said that the closest was 45 miles. How true this is, I don't know. I may give them a try.... Maybe buy 10 leads at $11 each and see for myself the quality of consumer and who I have to bid against. One of the contractors I speak of doesn't really lowball but because he pays the illegals dirt cheap wages, he has more Marketing dollars available and is tying up a lot of work that I never even get a chance to compete for as they don't even know I exist. It's a real unfair advantage. Our community turns a blind eye to it as they want the cheap labor.

I'll let ya know what happens with Service Magic.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's worth a try, but it does totally depend on your area. Some areas have no leads because people are not real tech savy. Other areas are flooded with companies competing for leads. But some areas have a good number of leads with very few companies buying them.
In the end it doesn't really matter how many people are buying the leads but only how many leads you win and what the costs associated are. If you can fun a good cost per lead by using service magic or any of the others leads services then it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, like I said it depends on the area. The key is to track everything so you know what your cost per "WON" lead is later on.

I know a few people that run their whole businesses off these leads engines though so there is some value in them.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe they do Cole. You can specify that type of lead once you create an account with them. It's a sub category I think of cleaning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been useing SM for the past week or so and so far it has been good to our company. I have had three leads and got two jobs from them. One is a one time new construction cleaning that will bring at least $500 and the other will be a biweekly customer. They are not paying jobs yet but will be within two weeks. That is if the customers come through as agreed. I don't like paying for leads that don't go anywere but you have to spend money to make it, I guess. It may go down hill but for now all is good.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the site kbrothers... thanks for joining.
I don't like paying for leads that don't go anywere but you have to spend money to make it, I guess. It may go down hill but for now all is good.
You'll drive yourself nuts if you look at how much you pay for every lead you don't get. You just need to keep track of the expenses and after a month figure out the average cost per won through ServiceMagic. Than compare that to other forms of advertising.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently have a set up with them although it's inactive.

I got the rep to waive the set up fee (I'm not sure how common this is) so it was all free. Unfortunately for any leads within 1/2 hour - their aren't that many. I was with them for 5 weeks and got one lead. But my field is pretty specific - tile and grout restoration. i'm sure I could get some good leads from it but the rep called to check up on me and told him to de-active at.

But I think cleaning leads were pretty cheap, they were only like 8 bux a piece I think for me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts