·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
222 Posts
Link doesn't work.

BTW, have you thought of buying a domain name for your business? I think it's really worth the investment. Godaddy.com sells them for about $8/year
Ditto that. Not working for me either.

Domains are cheap, and definitely the way to go. I pay $10.00/month for hosting, which gives me a LOT of disk space (5GB), plenty of bandwidth, and other nice features. www.hypermart.net

They can also register any domains you want.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ditto that. Not working for me either.

Domains are cheap, and definitely the way to go. I pay $10.00/month for hosting, which gives me a LOT of disk space (5GB), plenty of bandwidth, and other nice features. www.hypermart.net

They can also register any domains you want.
Honestly I would shy away from registering a domain with your host. Why? Because if you ever move hosts they tend to be a pain about transferring your domain so you can use it with your new host.

I had this happen to me with Aplus.net (which I DO NOT recommend). My site was down for a while and they made me to a whole bunch of things like fax them stuff in order to transfer my domain.

Register you domain with a well know register. It's an important part of your business.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Honestly I would shy away from registering a domain with your host. Why? Because if you ever move hosts they tend to be a pain about transferring your domain so you can use it with your new host.

I had this happen to me with Aplus.net (which I DO NOT recommend). My site was down for a while and they made me to a whole bunch of things like fax them stuff in order to transfer my domain.

Register you domain with a well know register. It's an important part of your business.
Hadn't thought of that! Great advice!

·
Registered
621 Posts

Amen! I just went through the same thing, that is why my pressure-pros.com website is not up and running. I had to end up signing with them again.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Godaddy.com has worked great for me. Also, if you type in digg as the coupon code you get 10% off.

There are a lot of other good registrars as well that is just the one I use.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pressure washing contractor Indiana

I purchased my domain name from godaddy. But I use ipowerweb for my host. I gave ipoweweb my user name and password to godaddy and they took care of the transfer for me, only took a couple days. My 14 year old son built my site for me using Microsoft Frontpage web builder, which I bought on ebay for $12. The only thing I don't like is the graphics on my header are cheesy looking but I'm going to have Keith at kbkgraphx make me a new one. The site is very informative and it seems to prequalify prospects. Believe it or not but if someone is interested in a service they want to read all the info they can about it, so they don't get ripped off. When people ask me certain questions I can tell they've been to my site, I give them the right answers and they are ready to sign.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The site looks good Barry. Your lucky to have your sons help.

Most likely when you gave your host the username and password to your godaddy account they transfered the domain to themselves instead of leaving it with Godaddy.com and just pointing it to their server.

It's not the end of the world but it is not recommended. Keep the domain with godaddy.com and just point the name servers to them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My current site is www.groutexperts.com

I'm currently having my site redesinged by my very cool graphic designer and this is the work in progress:

Still working on the pictures I'm going to choose for the landing page but this is what it looks like so far.
Very nice!

1 - 20 of 513 Posts