Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm only 2 full weeks into having my commercial janitorial company registered, licensed, insured, bonded etc.

I've begun as a 1 man operation, so i am doing all the cleaning & management myself. I have the skills & lengthy experience to do this.

Got a nice little website up, its small, but professional.

However i have not landed one bite yet. Since 10 days ago I've cold called about 40 places. Handed out flyers for a few days. Introduced myself to places that allowed it. Keeping posts up on Craigslist. Got the ThumbTack app set up.

So far; all businesses are either already under contract or not interested, or not ready to hire janitorial yet.

My friends don't have leads for me

I know this industry is based on reputation, but i need to get that first client so i can begin building that!
Im thinking that my marketing & introductions are not convincing enough. Maybe turn up the aggression a little bit?

On the second week, i added "15% off first contract" to my marketing.

Now i am thinking about marketing "Save 15% on janitorial service!" and basically undercutting current contracts. Is this ethical / dangerous?

any tips or advice will be so greatly appreciated. Maybe some conversational tips when doing door to door?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually, I think that is a good idea. For the first two years I had my one-person cleaning company, I deliberately set my rate lower than most people charge here. This kept me busy and allowed me to build up skills and a good reputation. I think as long as you handle things in a fair, honest manner, charging less at first can be a very good thing.

I get almost all my work from Thumbtack or Care.com. But I only do home cleanings. Cant be of much help to you on that issue of finding work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a cut throat business down here anyway.

Sometimes there can be a fit approaching the larger companies who already have the contracts and sub contract to them.
You would be surprised what some of those companies actually charge because they take care of all the cleaning requirements and the owners pay for that service.

It's true, they make money from your hard work but sometimes there is a good amount left for you if you negotiate and win them over. As long as a good job is done and they make a cut they are happy.
Hope that helps.
Don't sell yourself too short though and remember you can chase other contracts at a higher price elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.