Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
we don't even own a power-washer, all we do is soft-washing
Are you guys using air driven diaphragm pumps or 12 volt pumps, what GPM? What's the method for switching from chemical to fresh water? Someone goes back to the trailer and switches the ball valve?

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
we use a air driven pump, and a electric fatboy pump. Both are great, but the air pump will hold out longer than the electric pump.. And it gets to be a pain to recharge the battery.. However you dont have the noise of the gas engine running..

·
Registered
4 Posts
We use low pressure cleaning method to wash houses ( with a pressure washer) and soft wash all roofs (12v). What do you guys feel the benefit is with soft washing opposed to down streaming SH with a pressure washer for washing houses?

·
Registered
53 Posts
well for one your not carrying cans of bleach around with you, and also your not getting as much overspray as I would imagine you are with a pw.. But it allows you to use one unit to do both the roof and the exterior

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chuck Bergman Soft-Washing and Pressure Cleaning reply march 2013

Softwashing on many surfaces is far superior to pressure washing. Pressure still has its time and place, just not as often with us anymore.
I agree 100% with this reply and I see we are both in Florida!
I mainly clean roofs with soft-wash and pressure clean everything else. We all know what pressure washing does to shingle granules-it puts a good % in the gutter, or on the ground. With tile-High Pressure can dull or remove any glazing and most modern tiles have a light glaze [shine] Unglazed, high pressure [like a 3000-4000 psi machine] can dull the slurry coat [factory paint] {This I have seen to small and great extremes locally, see photos I took below of some extremes in a local development. They lost their color and became pale looking. }
Also, on tile roofs, any of you who have worked with tile much, know that the cement around all the ridges and ridge cap, is always cracked up in a million places. Hit that with high pressure and cement pieces end up a block away! { Exaggeration on distance LOL }
Lastly, pressure washing any roof [ Being in the pressure cleaning business here in Charlotte county,Florida since 1989, I had pressure washed many hundreds before I switched to soft-washing them ] requires you walk on 90% of it, clean run your gun in strips across your work reach distance. On tile, that means a high chance of many cracked tiles. On shingles, it means loosening more granules with your feet.
I know this is an old discussion, but it may be worth bringing to life for some?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
For soft washing i would recommend you to use Janitorial Cleaning Supplies, as it is best cleaning supply in market, though bleach has home recommeded usage, which may or may not reach where our hands couldn't reach, so try out Janitorial products once, do let me know the feedback after its usage....to know its variety range of products available, visit on https://www.facebook.com/MobileJanitorialSupply or http://mobilejanitorialsupply.com/.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joining the board. We specialize in low pressure cleaning.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree 100% with this reply and I see we are both in Florida!
I mainly clean roofs with soft-wash and pressure clean everything else. We all know what pressure washing does to shingle granules-it puts a good % in the gutter, or on the ground. With tile-High Pressure can dull or remove any glazing and most modern tiles have a light glaze [shine] Unglazed, high pressure [like a 3000-4000 psi machine] can dull the slurry coat [factory paint] {This I have seen to small and great extremes locally, see photos I took below of some extremes in a local development. They lost their color and became pale looking. }
Also, on tile roofs, any of you who have worked with tile much, know that the cement around all the ridges and ridge cap, is always cracked up in a million places. Hit that with high pressure and cement pieces end up a block away! { Exaggeration on distance LOL }
Lastly, pressure washing any roof [ Being in the pressure cleaning business here in Charlotte county,Florida since 1989, I had pressure washed many hundreds before I switched to soft-washing them ] requires you walk on 90% of it, clean run your gun in strips across your work reach distance. On tile, that means a high chance of many cracked tiles. On shingles, it means loosening more granules with your feet.
I know this is an old discussion, but it may be worth bringing to life for some?
Good to see you over here Chuck, and for those of you who don't already know, we are in Florida too.
All this "Softwash" stuff kind of cracks me up, since we have been doing it over 20 years. What some are now calling softwashing a roof, we called it no or non pressure roof cleaning, or chemical roof cleaning. My Mom is 100% Italian, and what we always called Spaghetti, some now want to call "Pasta"
WTF ?

Well, whatever you want to call it, Soft Wash or Softwashing, here is a helpful thread http://roofcleaninginstitute.org/in...wash-and-build-a-softwash-system-of-your-own/ that some may find useful in their quest to build a Softwash System of their own.

Some use 12 volt pumps, some use air pumps, but whatever you use, it has to be able to deliver more chemical concentration to softwash with, then your run of the mill downstream injector.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts