Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going thru my emails this morning I saw an email from a past customer that owed me over $900 for janitorial services waaaaay back in 2018.
The email said she wanted to start making payments on the past due amount.
I had looked into taking her to small claims court but 1st I had to find her. Web searching was tedious and I find her past residences--3 of them. Found some old posts from her on facebook.
Spoke with a bankruptcy attorney but in the end how much time and effort and court costs would lead to a payout or payment?? Yeah, I might get a judgement but many of those go un collected.
I remain a little skeptical but did my part and sent her paypal or mail options for payment.
Should I be hopeful?
Brad BD Janitorial

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, that is an interesting situation. That's a lot of money owed.

It is nice that the person realized this and wanted to start making payments.

If they want to start making payments, could you have her sign an agreement that she fills out that states something like, "I _ agree to pay a monthly amount of $___ for the time period of July 20th, 2021 - July 20, 2022 in order to pay back the amount of $_ for services rendered on date(s): ____.

I, __, understand that if I do not pay the amount of $__ for services rendered on __ by July 20, 2022, that I may be taken to small claims court or have my debt sent to collections for the remaining amount owed.

Name: ___
Signature: ____
Mailing address: _
Email: __
Phone number: _
Email and/or text reminders okay?
Y/N"

That's just a rough example, but if she signs an agreement for paying a monthly installment amount then that could be a good deal because you would get your money eventually. You could change the time frame to 3 months or 6 months instead of 12, but I would think if people are struggling that 12 would be plenty of time to pay it off.

Court costs are as they are, costly, so if you can avoid it and do a signed agreement what she will pay each month to work with her.

The only problem with doing payments over months is well...they may not pay them, of course, and just end up running again. I would say $900 is pretty significant, though. If you have enough info to prove the work was done then small claims may be worth it and if you can get an address then they would have to pay for the response, but it may be something.

It's good that you have tried your best to send her options for payment. I hope that you are able to get your money in one way or another. Being cheated out of money is awful.

I remember a cleaning company that did over $1,000 worth of work for an apartment complex and they took their kids to the office with them and told their kids to act up. Possible tenants got so annoyed they got up and walked out and they told the manager they wouldn't leave without their money. He eventually paid because he was losing business.

Another time, there was one that yet again another $1,000+ of work and didn't want to pay. They stood outside the complex with signs saying that they wouldn't pay them for the work they did. They were losing too much business and paid.

Haha, that was years ago back them. Now a days it may just be considered defamatory, but maybe it'll get a bit of a laugh.

I hope that you get your money soon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Cleaning Gal... thanks for your reply and suggestions. As of today I have not received a payment from Ms Past Due. She still has 15 days till the end of the month. But at least I know that she is still in business and perhaps she was " fishing" for me to offer her some sort of discount on the amount she owes.
In Oregon small claims:
Fill out the paperwork--Time
She gets served--$$
Goes to arbitration--if I remember--$$
I get a judgement or order for her to pay
I have already claimed the loss on my taxes.
Thanks again for your reply
Brad BD Janitorial

·
Registered
33 Posts
That Cleaning Gal... thanks for your reply and suggestions. As of today I have not received a payment from Ms Past Due. She still has 15 days till the end of the month. But at least I know that she is still in business and perhaps she was " fishing" for me to offer her some sort of discount on the amount she owes.
In Oregon small claims:
Fill out the paperwork--Time
She gets served--$$
Goes to arbitration--if I remember--$$
I get a judgement or order for her to pay
I have already claimed the loss on my taxes.
Thanks again for your reply
Brad BD Janitorial
I'm glad to hear you are sorting this out the best you can. Small claims is always a pain...sometimes not worth the struggle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts