Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this interesting page on creating a good website...

http://www.webreference.com/greatsite.html

Any thoughts ? What do you think makes a website appealing/effective and feel free to post your website address !

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of the most important tasks that people often forget about when making their website is the importance of web standards. Developed a website to proper HTML standards that valid will help the website render properly across different devices and operating systems.

Also I hate Flash. If a website has Flash I just log out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the most important tasks that people often forget about when making their website is the importance of web standards. Developed a website to proper HTML standards that valid will help the website render properly across different devices and operating systems.

Also I hate Flash. If a website has Flash I just log out!
Agreed, I actually spent time doing a semester long project for a game in flash, the learning curve was pretty steep to say the least. I have had something against flash since then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If by good website you mean website that attracts a lot of traffic (SEO) then then there is one timeless advice: make the website relevant to what people are looking for.
Agreed, good info > links/tons of useless content

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you want to create website for Google then you must consult with a SEO expert because he can tell you only about on page factors for a good website. If you want to create your website for users and wants lot of visitors per day on your website then you should create it accordingly users. If user will able in finding relevant information as they want on your website then your website will be rank in search engine automatically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
one thing in that article that you should ignore is where it says "break up your tables". that should say "eliminate your tables". when search engines spiders/bots get to a table in html, they don't go any further.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Depends on what the site is for. I would say for a service site where you will be entering a clients home a picture of you and also your family to show the potential clients who will be coming to there home. Look at my site Tampa carpet cleaning for an example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Read up on SEO.. avoid Flash at all costs, stick with HTML. Keep it simple and clean :)
Search Engine Optimization is definitely the most important part of a website, it is what makes you stand out from your competition. A Cleaner Business provides professionally built websites for cleaning businesses with SEO built in, allowing you to have full control of how well your site ranks. Convenient, easy and very affordable!!!

·
Banned
157 Posts
Speedy pages are always important. No matter how fast the average connection is for your readers, there is always more data, more content, more images, more everything for them to download. The thing about speed is that people only notice it when it's absent. So creating fast web pages often feels unappreciated, but if you follow the tips in this article, your pages won't be slow, and so your readers will stay longer.

Writing for the web is different from writing for print. People skim online, especially when they first get to a page. You want the contents of your page to give them what they want quickly, but provide enough detail for those who want expansion on the basics. This article gives you tips for writing web content.

Thanks

websites.ca

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nothing is going to get you better results than having original (and good informative) content. I will say that is the hardest part. To write the correct amount of info with the correct keywords. Plus it doesn't hurt to blog and use social media to get people to notice your original content. Also make sure you keep each page relevant to itself - don't write about multiple subjects on the same page. Also make sure your website gets crawled by google, yahoo, and bing at least once a month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing is going to get you better results than having original (and good informative) content. I will say that is the hardest part. To write the correct amount of info with the correct keywords. Plus it doesn't hurt to blog and use social media to get people to notice your original content. Also make sure you keep each page relevant to itself - don't write about multiple subjects on the same page. Also make sure your website gets crawled by google, yahoo, and bing at least once a month.

I've noticed blogging has really improved my website ranking.
I don't really have the time or desire to blog, so I just pay someone $99 a month to keep it updated with fresh content. :thumbup:

I haven't used any social media yet, but I plan on creating a twitter and facebook page when I have time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to add, don't forget to optimize your website. The less time your website takes to load the better. Google have a tool PageSpeed that will show you the speed and how to fix problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts