Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guy's,

When dealing with urine spills either pet or human on carpets or upholstery.

In the UK I use a product Called Urineoff. It's made in the States (Bio-Pro Research). Which products do You guy's use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a similar problem. Customer has a male cat that sprayed some stained (light color) but unsealed louvered pine doors. The affected area has turned a dark color and was damaged a long time ago. What, if anything, will neutralize this dark urine staining without causing additional color change to the surrounding wood? I am afraid that any water-based product I use will have a bleaching affect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you may want to try a hydrogen peroxide based cleaner. I would certainly test it first.
An additional caution, wood and water dont mix. Water will raise the grain.
Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem. Customer has a male cat that sprayed some stained (light color) but unsealed louvered pine doors. The affected area has turned a dark color and was damaged a long time ago. What, if anything, will neutralize this dark urine staining without causing additional color change to the surrounding wood? I am afraid that any water-based product I use will have a bleaching affect.
Apistan,

I get this question alot in my online biz (pet odor removal products) Unfortunately, the answer is no. You can get the odor out, but urine stains in wood are a chemical change that takes place deep in the wood. It's very similar to the dark patterns in spalted maple or any other decomposing wood. But, since cat spray (as opposed to straight urine) is delivered in a very small volume, you may be able to sand out the discoloration and re-stain to match.

MvWally is right on about water altering the appearance of the wood. In order to eliminate the urine with a bio-enzymatic product, you will need to soak the wood repeatedly. Soaking the wood will raise the grain, damage laminates/glue ups, and cause further darkening. It is for that very reason we carry solvent based products in addition to water based products. But, solvent products break down urine in a different manner than bio-enzymatics and do not have any stain removal properties. That difference is of no consequence in your case as the discoloration is the wood itself, but is noteworthy when dealing with urine odors in textiles, leather, etc.

Philip
http://www.OdorDestroyer.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
pet odors

Hi Guy's,

When dealing with urine spills either pet or human on carpets or upholstery.

In the UK I use a product Called Urineoff. It's made in the States (Bio-Pro Research). Which products do You guy's use.
Our investor group is involved in buying and restoring foreclosure homes; most of the properties have been unoccupied for a year or more. Stale air, smoking and pet odors can get quite bad. Selling a house with odor problems takes longer and affects the resale value. Painting the interior does not remove all odors as the odors are embedded in the carpets, carpet pads and drapes. A painting contractor mentioned a product called, Air-ReNu a paint additive, turns any painted wall surface, into a permanent air, purification system no electricity or filters required. We now use, Air-ReNu on every interior paint job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my opinion, having pet urine creating an unpleasant smell and odor in your house is unpleasant and socially embarrassing. Baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are some of the most popular methods to get rid of urine odor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pet Odor

Are pet odors, an ongoing challenge? An all-natural paint additive has been developed, that turns any newly painted wall surface, into an effective and permanent air purification system, no electricity or filters required. The Air-ReNu, technology continuously removes offensive cat urine odors and improves indoor air quality.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pet Odors

I have cats & dogs so my problems sometimes go beyond just urine. One cat had a kidney infection which left urine/blood stains in various spots. The ONLY thing I found really cleaned the stains and removed the smell was Genesis 950. It is the best thing I have ever used for removing all types of stains. I swear by it.

VRVS also makes a great point about air purifiers. They take out a lot of allergens and dander in the air. Granted they won't do anything about urine in carpet. The overall animal smell can be completely removed with purifiers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have a pet, you should NEVER use vinegar to clean. Vinegar contains some of the same compounds found in urine. If your pet smells this similarity, they make actually start to go to the bathroom in that spot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts