Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do your windows on a cool, or cloudy day. If you HAVE to do it in the sun, do it in the morning. What you want to avoid here is heat. Heat works against you.

Get a bucket of lukewarm water (not hot), and add 2-3 tablespoons of plain ammonia. Use a sponge that has a white scrubber on the other side (don't use the green ones, they are too course). Wet your window with the sponge side, then flip to the white scrub pad side, and scrub the window. You'll be able to "feel" when it's clean. You'll feel rough patches, etc when it's still not clean. This is a step most people fail at, if the window simply isn't clean, it's going to look cloudy when done. Scrub well.

You'll also need lots of clean, white cotton rags/towels/cleaning cloths. Diapers work great here. Dry by hand a 1 inch strip at the top of the window.
The trick for no streaks with the squeegee, is placing the dry rubber blade on a dry window.

Take the squeegee now and place it at the top of the window in that 1 inch dry strip. Pull down smoothly. Dry your squeegee blade with between each sweep. Finish window, if need be do one last sweep left to right at the bottom of the window.

Take a dry, clean cloth and run with your finger down each window side and across the bottom to clean and dry the edges. They should look perfect! And you'll feel great having clean windows.
home cleaning | vinegar cleaning | gift | Food | Relationship | Girl friend | Boy friend | Pregnancy | Vegetables | Clean | Milk | Exercises

·
Registered
146 Posts
window cleaning

That is definitely true about the weather. Cleaning windows in direct sunlight is a pain. Sometimes the only way to do it is to clean small segments at a time. I have found that a squirt of dishsoap works a lot better than ammonia at cleaning. Cleaning windows with ammonia is kind of oldschool, none of the professional window cleaners clean with it anymore. I think they used it to give the squeegee "glide" (meaning it slips cleanly across the window). I prefer to use professional window cleaning formulas. You can get these at the janitorial store. The thing about the professional window cleaning solutions is that they glide really well and don't leave any residue. One problem with ammonia is that it can damage tint. Many commercial buildings have tint on the windows.

Jesse
Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree that hot weather is the worst weather to clean windows but I'm with april1979 a dash o dish soap in warm water works much better than ammonia.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice tips, really.
I personally use vinegar/water solution when I'm cleaning the windows in my house. I like the result. My windows become clean and shiny. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, but somehow I can't wipe down with cloths (no matter of the fabric)... There always are streaks left.. That's why I use the newspapers ;)
Hi,
I agree with your point and I also use newspaper and I generally avoids to clean window in winter season. Although, I know that there are a lot of option that we can use to clean window. However, I avoid it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, but somehow I can't wipe down with cloths (no matter of the fabric)... There always are streaks left.. That's why I use the newspapers ;)
lisaheader I was surprise to see that you use newspaper. This is an "old school trick". My mom would make us use newspaper for cleaning the windows and mirrors in our house growing up. It's really surprising the great job it does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.