Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you start you cleaning business with? example (employees, trucks, etc.) and where are you now? how much have you grown and how did you get there?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great question!

My business "officially" opens its doors in March.

Starting with:

Business plan (no one should start without one, even if it's a short simple one) Business plans are road maps which keep you focused on goals and growth

Structure - LLC

Two housecleaners

Company business manual which details policies of the company (put everything in writing and go over it with your employees)

Liability and bonding insurance

I've hired a payroll outsourcing company to handle payroll and Worker's compensation

We have a ton of natural products

I just purchased two Molly Moppins mops

We have rags and dusters

Other equipment such as vacuum cleaners, etc.

Cleaning aprons

shoe protectors - Important to keep outside dirt from being tracked into people's homes and on their carpet, etc.

caddies to hold supplies

Most important---a skin tight marketing plan

etc.....

My advice to people - once you determine to start a cleaning business, start purchasing and storing equipment and products. Don't buy everything at once. Plan well in advance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Cat, I think you actually have a chance of making this thing a successful venture. Kudos on doing things right. In three years you will be leagues above those that buy a vaccuum cleaner, a pair of nitrile gloves and place a Craig's List ad and call it a business. I like your style.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cat, I think you actually have a chance of making this thing a successful venture. Kudos on doing things right. In three years you will be leagues above those that buy a vaccuum cleaner, a pair of nitrile gloves and place a Craig's List ad and call it a business. I like your style.
Thanks so much for the positive feedback Ken! It would be so easy to try to find all the things that could go wrong. I function best on the positive.

I knew that my husband and I would be putting a great deal of money into this venture and that's why we researched, hired experts, etc. before we moved forward. The base is established on a brick foundation. Our friends and family are supporting us. I'm just looking forward to March 1.

Cat

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
you are doing a wonderful job of prepping for opening day Cat. One little word of advice - have your employees practice walking in the shoe covers, they really only work on carpet. Many cleaning companies have actually banned the use of shoe covers because of liability issues and workman's comp claims due to the fact that persons wearing them on hard floor surfaces have little to no traction and fall much more, often leading to insurance claims that you really don't want to have made against you or your company.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think I will return them since I have not taken them out of the box yet. LOL!

T, what do you do in situations with picky clients who try to ban shoe wearing from their homes (I know that the employees must wear shoes).

But with those picky clients who complain about shoes, what do you do?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I explain to all clients that while cleaning all of our staff must wear their shoes for workman comp reasons. However I still take off my shoes when estimating as a sign of respect.

You may of missed my post of the other day - Taking my shoes off while estimating recently cost me a hair line fracture just above the ankle and a badly messed up knee (ligament damage). The homeowner had a plastic runner over her carpeted stairs and either my socked foot slipped on the runner or the runner slipped on the carpet & I fell down the stairs basically riding my on leg down the whole flight :cry:

We have to assume caution for ourselves and our own well being, even if the customer wants to dictate otherwise.

In all honesty I have never had a case of a customer not wanting us to clean when they requested us to remove our shoes and I declined citing my reason why we choose not to. I do assure them that we will be fully responsible for cleaning any debris or damages that our shoes may cause & that ends the discussions

If it is an issue to your clients (for example if you live is snow country) you can always take in a pair of deck shoes for each cleaner to change into so that the shoes worn outside can be left on the porch or in a mud room as a compromise ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great point, T. I have one client who does not want shoes worn in the house. It's carpet throughout. However, when I do hire again I will have to let them know that employees will have to wear shoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you are doing a wonderful job of prepping for opening day Cat. One little word of advice - have your employees practice walking in the shoe covers, they really only work on carpet. Many cleaning companies have actually banned the use of shoe covers because of liability issues and workman's comp claims due to the fact that persons wearing them on hard floor surfaces have little to no traction and fall much more, often leading to insurance claims that you really don't want to have made against you or your company.
Really?! I had actually been looking into shoe covers to wear in the shower to hedge against slipping. Guess not!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a residential and Commercial Cleaning company in the resort areas of Ocean City, MD up to Lewes, DE. We started iour business just a few months ago in October of 2007. We are an LLC, licensed bonded and insured. We went all out on advertising and our company is going much better then I had hoped!! We now have 6 employees (3 per crew) and have residential, commercial, rentals post construction. WE have 2 company vehicles. We have rented a billboard on a majoy strip and advertise in every newspaper! I must say that putting money into advertising has helpe us get to where we are! Just this week we have gotten several calls for some major cleaning projects! www.1stmateservices.com.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a residential and Commercial Cleaning company in the resort areas of Ocean City, MD up to Lewes, DE. We started iour business just a few months ago in October of 2007. We are an LLC, licensed bonded and insured. We went all out on advertising and our company is going much better then I had hoped!! We now have 6 employees (3 per crew) and have residential, commercial, rentals post construction. WE have 2 company vehicles. We have rented a billboard on a majoy strip and advertise in every newspaper! I must say that putting money into advertising has helpe us get to where we are! Just this week we have gotten several calls for some major cleaning projects! www.1stmateservices.com.
I just took a look at your website and all I can say is....WOW! I love what you are doing.

Particularly impressed with the fact that you invested in that gigantic billboard. Love the car.

CONGRATS! Very professional looking.:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts