Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Robert,

If you clean midsized offices, or building common areas with large carpeted areas I would look at a wide path vacuum like a 14" proteam hepa ProTeam ProForce 1500XP HEPA Dual Motor Upright Vacuum JonDon has them for $426. I have 1 of these and like it. There are other 14" wide path vacuums for less.

If you clean lots of bare/hard surface floors then look at a backpack vacuum. There are lots of them on the market, I have a Perfect Backpack and would not buy another one, Have a Proteam backpack Super Coach and like it.

Here is a link to a .pdf of cleaning times put out by ISSA. look under carpet cleaning vacuuming and it lists the cleaning times for various vacuums 12" 14" 18"
https://www.parish-supply.com/pdf/ISSA-Cleaning-Times.pdf
Brad BD Janitorial
Don't forget to look at the cost of vacuum consumables--filters, bags,belts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are cleaning commercially you should only buy uprights that have metal fan blades.Most of the blades in the vacs that are mentioned are plastic, not good.When you vac up a penny, a paper clip it chips the plastic blade and you will notice as the vacuum is suddenly much louder than it was.Your blade is chipped.The replacement of the blade is pricey at often not worth the cost.Trouble is it needs to be replaced.

Windsor vacs or sensors have metal blades they cost more but I have never in 20 years ever had to replace one, ever.Which translates to they were worth the extra money.
Hi Profcleaning,

This a great information you shared about the vacuum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best upright vacuum I've used in recent years is the Carpet Pro CPU-2T. One has been going strong for over 3 years at a feed mill sucking up all manner of dirt, grit, salt and debris. Another has been used in an aluminum tool shop sucking up scraps of metal for 2 years without issue. The only problem with them is that they only come in the 12" size and they don't have an offset brush so getting into the corner is a little harder.

As Brad mentioned, the ProForce is a great vac as well, although I personally find them a bit top-heavy. The Carpet Pro is cheaper as well, just don't buy it from Amazon, their prices suck (pun intended!)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think most cleaning pros have their own favorite vacuums. Me, I love Shark Rockets, because of the bright headlight. And they have great suction as well. However, they have their drawbacks. The Shark company uses cheap plastic parts made overseas. And if somehing breaks, it is expensive to replace those cheap plastic parts. It makes no sense to me why a good company should do this, but they do.

Orecks are great, too. But an upright cannot get into tight spaces like a wand vacuum can. They are also quite heavy and the bags are not cheap. I cannot explain this, but in some homes, the Oreck works better and in others, the Shark does.

I LOVE having the bright headlight! The first time I used it, in my own home, I was amazed and a bit shocked to see what was on my floors! Now, I absolutely depend on it to help me in my cleaning work in others homes. The head detaches and you can use various tools on it. It is like having a bright flashlight with you, and you can easily clean walls, high places, etc., with it. Recently I cleaned a home for the first time. In their bathroom, I quickly saw that the walls in the bathroom were just covered in dust bunnies! (Due to paper products such as tissues). In this case, I used my Swiffer mop to get it all down quickly. But if I hadnt had that bright light, I never would have seen what was truly there.
Annie

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are hundreds of commercial vacuum cleaners available in the market. In most cases, commercial uprights will have two motors as opposed to the traditional one. When looking at an upright vacuum, we will find that the pump is right above its suction intake and the bag is on the handle.

Such vacuums are lightweight and quieter than the other models. Factors to be considered while buying a vac are :
1) its features
2) noise level
3) Accessories to increase the efficiency of vacuum cleaners
4) brush agitator and retractable rod
5) height adjustment facilities
6) self-propelled feature
7) filters and vacuum bags

There are much more factors you should consider. Please go through the following link https://www.vacuumsguide.com/detailed-vacuum-cleaner-features-guide/

When you choose for filters and vacuum bags, try to get replacement vacuum filters. In addition, it will be good if you consider the filters with HEPA technology. And ensure they meet OEM specifications. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A good vacuum for me has to have changeable attachments such as a craving tool and dusting brush. Next, I look at the weight since I do not like heavy vacuums.

You can choose a corded or cordless vacuum depending on your needs. For an upright vacuum which is what you mentioned I would suggest the Shark Rotator TruePet. Its portable and good for if you have allergies.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I love Sharks. Mineboth have LED headlights which have made my work much, much easier. These lights are so bright I can truly see stuff I missed in the past. I prefer the wand types, as they can move easily into smaller places. They are light weight, too. The models with headlights come with a variety of useful tools.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think dyson v8 is the best choice for you if you have a big expense.
If you are not sure you can view my review at: largereviews.com/best-vacuum-stairs
Dyson's are great but WAY over-priced! There is no sense in paying that much, when you can buy a Shark for less than HALF the cost. According to my vacuum repair guy, they both break in similar ways - both use cheap plastic parts made in China which are not cheap to replace. However, I have found that the Sharks seldom require repairs, unless you dont clean the filters, etc. After every job, I clean the whole darn machine, including the wheels and the brushes. I do not want to bring someone else's dirt into another house. I clean the filters every single week.

I will never, ever, buy another Bissell vacuum. I have bought several and all worked fine for a while but all of them broke. A total waste of money, IMO. They have a lotta nerve calling themselves vacuum experts!!!

I recently bought an inexpensive O Cedar steam mop. A pleasure to use and works great, however, the pads are costly. I never want to swish dirty water around on a floor, so I go through a lot of those pads when dealing with a large tile floor. I have learned to carry a small folding pocket knife in my pocket. My Shark's headlight shows me where something is stuck on the floor, and I use the knife to scrap it up. ONLY on tile floors, however. NOT on hardwood. People keep me because I am meticulous about floors, and they appreciate this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts