Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes you better than the last guy who gave and estimate? How do you stand out to your clients?

I know this is a broad questions but I think it's an important one. So many people don't do anything special and therefore they never succeed. You have to offer something that no one else is offering. That could be price, quality, service, extras, professionalism, etc...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had many customers tell me what they liked about me, or why they choose my company, was my honesty and professionalism. They also like a fast turn around. I've had people tell me I returned their initial call, scheduled and did the estimate, and got them to sign all before the next PW in line even returned their first phone call. People don't like to wait, we live in a hurry the hell up world.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I stand out by having more energy and exitement about their project.
I also am very confident and exude (sp?) high self esteem and I feel that rubs off instantly.
It's not about getting workand feeding my kids, it's about the opportunity and honor of completing an important project in their home. Sounds cheesy but that is how I feel and they will know this when I walk into their home.
that's all it really takes most of the time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I believe image has been a huge selling point for me. Uniforms, printed proposals and invoices, Lettered Truck etc... Also, since I posted a web site, I have already gotten leads and a few jobs. The cutomers expressed that they liked being able to read about company at thier own liesure on thier own time.

I started seeing a higher closing rate when I started handing consumer a Folder with photos and information. Sort of a Professional Resume with References and "How we Clean" page, proof of insurance etc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My voice mail says I return ALL calls the same day which I am usually pretty spot on with.

So quick response...Also my next skill is specialization...we do alot of shower cleaning/restoration and we promote this fact to our customers. And it is as well a fact that more than 50% of all our jobs are shower cleaning and restoration so we can clean what other peopls can't. People like that.

So not much competition and we are prompt, lettered trucks, profesional logo, invoices etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the service i provide and my written gurantee and doing what i promised to do from start to finish but also having patience to take that extra step to show that i care

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe image has been a huge selling point for me. Uniforms, printed proposals and invoices, Lettered Truck etc...
I think this is huge. You can make yourself look a lot bigger than you are now a days with color printing, professional designs, shirts, etc...

If they feel that you are a large company often they feel like you have more to loose if you screw up.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
What makes you better than the last guy who gave and estimate? How do you stand out to your clients?

Knowledge

That is what makes my company and myself rise above the others. Anyone can return calls, set estimates, have fancy flyers and business cards and wear uniforms that are crisp and clean. Not everyone can express the knowledge that they have in such a way as to benefit the customer and their decisions.

Think in terms of going to the doctor - yes he/she are intelligent and have obviously studied and know medicine, however do you really want to work with a doctor who is cold and curt and spends no time discussing with you what your health issues are in terms that you can understand so that you too have a vested interest in determining the course of your treatments? Most would choose the Doctor who is both knowledgeable and can express it in depth and detail in layman’s terms.

Customers too want to share in you knowledge and feel comfort that you are the most knowledgeable person available to do their job. This means taking some extra time to educate the customer. (why is this method better than than? We use this product rather than that product for this reason..... etc)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am still in my first year of working for myself, however i have since managed to get work from a larger company (at a cost), when i started with them they were trying to sell the jobs over the phone at hourly rates, i dint and do not agree.

i prefer to make the effort to go and see them, tell them they have a wonderful house and any other bull i can think of, then when we get to looking at the work they want i will talk about the pro's and cons and if it is worth it and so on, i feel this makes me look like i am not just there for thier money. then before i give my quote i will have looked around thier property and found things i can realte to and start a general chit chat with them. I find this helps as it gives them an impression of you as a person, they have time to feel if they can trust you and what your all about.

in general i secure 85% of my quotes into jobs.

I also give them a brochure of facts, not what i do nd dont do but facts of dust, mites, mould etc...

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my case the one thing that makes my company better is high quality. Almost all of my jobs come from word of mouth.
I always make sure the buildings are very clean and give them more than expected here is one example. I am not required to spot clean carpets, but if there is a spot that makes the building look bad I clean it. My clients always notice the little things like that and refer me to other clients.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am just starting a window cleaning and office cleaning business,
I have heard several times over that they are having problems with
the person they are using because they do a great job at first then
the job performance becomes sloppy, not completed, or half way done.
Yet they will not let that person go and hire someone else. So the work is still not getting done. How do you aquire these jobs without stepping on someones toes ? I do beleive that the performance is a number one key in keeping the job after you receive it. You need to take pride in what you do. This will not only keep the customers you have but will bring more business in. Get to know your Customers on a
one on one bassis, treat them as if you have known them all your life and go out of your way to accomplish the work they are needing done.
Make them feel they are special .

Rose Sutton
Cleaning Talk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Rose,

There is no way a service business can force a client into keeping them if their performance is bad. If you are hearing complaints it is appropriate to introduce yourself and your service.

A little catch-22 that you won't know until after you are in business for awhile. Be wary of these types of customers. The reason I say that is this. Quite often these people complaining hired the cheapest person they could find. The lowballer then figured out they are making no money and start cutting corners or just abandon the client. Use this to your advantage.

Talk about your committment to customer service but in clear enough terms let them know you are not a fly-by-nighter that sells on price. You plan on staying in business and that your service offers far more value than a few dollars saved.

Make sure you know the FMV of your service and figure out if you can be profitable operating within that scale of pricing. It is very easy to start off with good intentions and hard work ethic but just because one knows how to do a good job does not make them a successful business owner or even remotely begin to predict potential success.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We (all employees) focus on 4 basic core key elements.
It’s a little harder for us because we have 18 employees, not just one or two that have to continually focus on these elements.

These elements have customer retention programs connected to them that drive for results and measure our progress.

1) To know more about our customers than anyone else does.
2) To get closer to our customers than anyone else does.
3) To emotionally connect better with our customer than anyone else.
4) To develop habitual dependability with our customer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts