Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

What mop do you use?

27K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  kc-cowboy 
#1 ·
Since 1998 all floors cleaned by my company has been cleaned on hands & knees. Starting in August when I add new employees we will start using mops for bigger floors. So I'm just wondering what kind and type of mop you use? I want feed back so I can try them out personally before I let the employees use the one I pick. Please give me the exact name of the one you use.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
The e-cloth microfiber mop is pretty good. There are 2 pads for it. One is a "dusting" pad that you use instead of sweeping. The other is a damp pad that you use only very slightly wet so it won't leave streaks. I think they're only available online. The handle length is adjustable which is good if more than one person is using it and the pads are machine washable and priced pretty reasonably.

#6 ·
As I was looking around I came upon the Shmop. Has anyone ever used it? I've heard of it many years ago but we never used mops so I never checked it out. I think I'm going to add it to the list because I will only need 1 handle for a dust mop and a flat wet mop. It will really depend on how good the dust mop is. Has anyone used it before?

By the way jeepgirl, how do you keep the corners clean with a mop? That's a big reason we always washed floors on hands & knees is because of the corners. Any and all pointers are welcomed from everyone.

#11 ·
By the way jeepgirl, how do you keep the corners clean with a mop? That's a big reason we always washed floors on hands & knees is because of the corners. Any and all pointers are welcomed from everyone.
We carry a damp cleaning rag in our pocket when doing floors... what ever the dry and wet mop cant get, we get with the rag... also the rag comes in handy for tough spots on the floor that the mop wont take up.

#7 ·
Well, Sprintcar, I guess there are a few techniques we use to keep the corners clean. I was also a big fan of getting on my hands and knees until I had three knee surgeries, (one of those not work related). So here are the techniques, one would be to vacuum everything really well,(we also use two vacuums, one, a miele cannister and the other a cheap upright),then we use a string style mop, and then a very good micro fiber morp, (the front of it curves up), if we are still finding dirt at this time, we then vacuum select areas again Keep in mind the houses we clean are mostly rentals and weekend homes, so they are usually only used for a few days, moderate to very dirty houses, it might not work as well.

jeepgirl

#9 ·
So does that mean that you only dust mop? Help me out here... this mop stuff is 100% new to me. The only mop I've ever had is one from a move out that we did... the window on my work van slid down in the door and the only way to get it to stay up was to get that mop from the move out garage and cut the handle and put it in the door to hold up the window. lmao But... we have always used a dust mop.

#12 ·
Microfiber Mops are great time savers

For nearly three decades, I also thought being down on your hands and knees with your eyes focused on the floor was the best. About two years ago I was introduced to the magic of Microfiber. I tested several manufacturers and selected a professional grade product.

These products are made with quality products and are made for cleaning professionals. They save you time and money and the mop heads can be cleaned hundreds of times before needing to be replaced. See a full line of Professional Grade Microfiber products at StoneCareOnline .com and chose Cleaning Tools from Category List on the left column>

#16 ·
micro fibre clothes are a must!

micro fibre clothes are a must because they are reusable and the good quality kinds lasts for months. Also I use the h2omopx5 steam mop, maybe you should switch over to steam mops instead of conventional mops. Steam mops will ensure that any floor of a clients is steamed cleaned and sanitized. I especially like how buying a good quality steam mop can also help steam you carpets, titles and alot of other flooring materials too not including hard wood of course. Hope that helps.

#17 ·
#19 ·
That's a dust mop... no a mop. I've used those for 14 years... I dust mop the floor then I hand wash it.

I'm not looking for something for ME to use, I was looking for an employee to use. Employees get as few things that are mechanical as possible. I'm not setting out to spend $100,000 a year on electrical things for them to break. For example: if I use a $1 spray bottle it will last me 2 years. Employees go through them in a month... sometimes a week! I can use a vacuum cleaner for 5 years and never have a clog... an employee can clog it in 20 minutes. I guess if I want smart people to work for me I'd have to pay $50 an hour instead of $12.

I went with the Shmop for 2 reasons. It does as good of a job as any of the others. And the best thing is that it has a dust mop interchangable head. So they can dust mop with it... take the dust mop head off... put on microfiber cloth... then wet mop with it. That way they only have 1 handled thing in their car.

As for the microfiber cloths.... I've used them since 2005. Microfiber cloths & Magic Erasers cut the cleaning time of a house by 1/3.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm still stuck on the old tried and true method of hands and knees....slowly introducing the Steamer on small areas.
Reason for both~My reasoning is if I have to bend over to do a good job on the baseboards, why not stay there and do the floor?
We, at times, use the Steamer for laundry rooms, foyers, that have a small amount of baseboards that are separately paid attention to.

This post has been deleted
#45 ·
Suggestion!

Rightly said, I have also been using O-Cedar ProMist, which is microfiber Spray Mop. And It helps me a lot in getting my work done. The interesting thing is that it does not cost much at all. I was on the budget when purchasing this one, but still, after having enough money, I have not the courage to switch from this unit.

#25 ·
Microfiber cleaning towels have been around for quite some time. The microfibers can hold a lot of water without dripping thus leaving the floor cleaner with less standing water. The floor dries much faster, reducing the chance of slipping and sliding.
For hardwood floors, steam cleaners are good.

#27 ·
I'm using O-Cedar Microfiber Cloth Mop. I'm cleaning only my house, but this mop has proven very good, actually. I'm very satisfied. The best thing about this mop is that has a very sturdy handle and has a machine washable microfiber head, which is very practical in my opinion. I found information about this mop on the internet and I can share a link of that website, so you can read about other mop types and find the one that you like more. So, this is the website: https://www.bestproductspro.com/mop-for-tile-floors/

I hope that you can find some useful information. It helped me a lot!

#28 ·
I dont use any of that stuff. To me, all you are doing is shoving dirty water around on a floor. I see evidence of this in many of my residential cleaning jobs.

IO use an ordinary Swiffer mop but I do NOT use their nasty wet pads. UGH, they make me want to throw up, all sticky and icky. I buy white washcloths at Dollar General. They hook onto the mop head quite easily.. Dampen them first and then spritz on some all purpose cleaner and off I go. I mop a smallish area and when the cloth stays white (or almost white-) the floor is clean. Because I have done this so long, I am quite fast doing this. I always try to work as efficiently as I can....time is money! I will never use an ordinary mop of any sort again. I personally think it is kinda disgusting to see someone shoving a dirty mop around a floor.

I keep a dull pocket knofe in my apron pocket and a damp rag (someone else mentioned that-). When I vacuum, if something doesnt comoe up right away I use the knife to gently scrap the stuff up. NOT on hardwood or laminate floors however! The damp rag removes whatever it is I( scraped up. Then I start mopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.