Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do alot of deck/porch repairs and customers are constantly asking me about deck cleaning/restoration so I finally decided to expand my services. I'm getting ready to purchase a bigger washer and wanted some heads-up info. Most of my customers are rural houses with deep well pumps and house water pressure can vary therefore my concern.

Could someone expand my knowledge as to what's the best hose diameter for pressure washer inlet based on the washers GPM and length of hose to be used... for example;

washer - 3 GPM/3000 psi
hose - 100 foot

hose diameter = ?? And how much (if any) does the water pressure from the residence/business faucet affect which diameter hose to use on the inlet side?

Also, is there a big difference in the outlet hose diameters between the washer and power wand? I know there is for pneumatic tools, but I'm unclear about water. Where do you draw the line as to what will work right and what will be overkill or detramental to the performance? Yeah, I know some will say... just plug the darn hose in and get to work.
I would really appreciate any help/insight (or links) to.

·
Registered
326 Posts
First, pressure isn't much of a concern supplying the inlet side of washer. However, FLOW is a concern. You're 3 gpm (though most will recommend 4 gpm ore more to be time effective in cleaning) should have no problem getting enough water from well. To insure that you do have adequate flow, you could try setting up a float tank before the pump.

As for hose size 5/8 or 3/4 is fine for supply. High pressure hose norm is 3/8 or 1/2.

Remember when it comes to cleaning, gpm is more important than psi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...to tag onto the above,

If you pull from a well make sure that you have a water filter before the pump to keep all sand and small debris out.

Otherwise you'll be replacing/rebuilding pumps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts