Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Do you clean green?

• We are 100% green.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • We offer green cleaning as an option.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • We don't clean green.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • What is 'Green Cleaning'? Is that money laundering?

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Interesting to give someone the "option" of green cleaning. Kind of like saying we will do the right thing if you pay us enough.

I say you either do it or you don't. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really interested in this topic.

From the reading that I have done the products seem to be a little more expensive and labor-intensive.

Should we all be 100% green?
That would be great, especially if the 'experts' could decide what 'green' is.

Should we charge the same price for a more expensive service, and can we stay if business if we do?
I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Should we charge the same price for a more expensive service, and can we stay if business if we do?
I honestly don't know.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't charge more for your services if your using higher priced materials and longer processes but you have to point that out in your sales pitch.

I'm probably wrong on this but it just seems to be a strange thing to upsell. Kind of like saying you will work safer if they pay extra. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
620 Posts
The problem with offering "green cleaning" in the real world is your material cost and your labor goes up. Like Nathan mentioned, you would have to raise your prices. You have to look at it from an angle of end results. If you can be EPA compliant (no washwater down drains) what advantage is the customer getting? He paid more for a wash and got the same results he could have gotten elsewhere. No matter how eco-friendly a detergent is, it still cannot go down into public drainage.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another interesting article

http://www.cmmonline.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636259

A few exerpts:

A definition of green cleaning
Green Seal is currently completing an environmental standard for cleaning services, and this standard will provide in detail the many aspects involved in green cleaning, including the use of chemicals, supplies, equipment, pro-cedures, training and communications.
By green cleaning, we mean the use of products and procedures that are more healthful and have less environmental impact than others that serve the same function.

--

In many cases, these environmental and health-related procedures are synonymous with industry best practices.
We know of some major and small cleaning services that are pioneering in best practices, but the industry as a whole has a distance to go.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It will probably be required at some point in the future which would probably be a good thing for the industry. Make it a bit more professional.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The part "products and procedures that are more healthful and have less environmental impact" is interesting. One could read "more healthful" as "less toxic but still potentially dangerous to one's health". You could also read "less enviromental impact" as "it still harms the enviroment but not as much as some procedures".

The organic food industry is going through the same issues right now. It will be fun to see where it all shakes out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The part "products and procedures that are more healthful and have less environmental impact" is interesting. One could read "more healthful" as "less toxic but still potentially dangerous to one's health". You could also read "less enviromental impact" as "it still harms the enviroment but not as much as some procedures".

The organic food industry is going through the same issues right now. It will be fun to see where it all shakes out.
This has been discussed on the grout cleaning board I frequent as well.

These chemicals are still harmful but not "AS" harmful.

Also the fact that the chems we use, we use them because they generally work better than anything else. Many supposedly green chems put their effectiveness second.

just a thought

·
Registered
620 Posts
Like any other industry,cleaning and selaing will evolve. I'm sure all gear heads though increased economy and emissions laws would effectively kill any chance of ever owning a fast car again. They were right for awhile until manufacturer's were forced into developing technologies to the point where my 6 cylinder Altima will walk most factory muscle cars of the 60's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has been discussed on the grout cleaning board I frequent as well.

These chemicals are still harmful but not "AS" harmful.

Also the fact that the chems we use, we use them because they generally work better than anything else. Many supposedly green chems put their effectiveness second.

just a thought
Exactly.
It's not like you can tip a jug of H2Orange2 and chug it if you run out of Gatorade.
I haven't had the luxury of being able to try different 'green' floor systems to find out what is effective and what isn't. When I do a job it has to be right the first time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I feel it is just another way to get into my pockets. They always want to change things. Change chems, procedures, equipment, It all adds up to money in there pockets. Then of course you will need to be trained have to pay for that. It is kind of like new cars they come out with new models because you don't want to drive the old model do ya?
I want to use chems that are less harmful to us all and I am top on the list of people I want to keep safe. But I just think it is just same old game never keep it the same so THEY can sell us the latest products and so on.

PS who are THEY anyway?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts