Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869, by O. A. North of New Britain, Connecticut. Albert J. Parkhouse, an employee of Timberlake Wire and Novelty Company in Jackson, Michigan, created a coat hanger in 1903, in response to co-workers’ complaints of too few coat hooks. He bent a piece of wire into two ovals with the ends twisted together to form a hook. Parkhouse patented his invention, but it is not known if he profited from it.
Schuyler C. Hulett received a patent in 1932 for an improvement which involved cardboard tubes screwed onto the upper and lower portions to prevent wrinkles in freshly laundered clothes.
Three years later Elmer D Rogers created a hanger with a tube on the lower bar which is still used today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To think that such a simple and elegant device completely revolutionised the tailoring industry as well as the lives of the ordinary people. It should be hard working honest people like that that should get attention, not talentless wastes of space such as Paris Hilton. It really enrages me that people that make a difference in the world don't get the recognition they deserve. OK I'm gonna stop now, blood pressure rising...:censored:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869, by O. A. North of New Britain, Connecticut. Albert J. Parkhouse, an employee of Timberlake Wire and Novelty Company in Jackson, Michigan, created a coat hanger in 1903, in response to co-workers’ complaints of too few coat hooks. He bent a piece of wire into two ovals with the ends twisted together to form a hook. Parkhouse patented his invention, but it is not known if he profited from it.
Schuyler C. Hulett received a patent in 1932 for an improvement which involved cardboard tubes screwed onto the upper and lower portions to prevent wrinkles in freshly laundered clothes.
Three years later Elmer D Rogers created a hanger with a tube on the lower bar which is still used today.
Well done. Such people need universal recognition.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I often wonder where a lot of things come from and sometimes I'm surprised to find out the answer.
I still wonder where did WE come from? Does anybody know?:huh:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I still wonder where did WE come from? Does anybody know?:huh:
I believe we are all descendants from a man named Adama. He and his mates came to earth while we were still in our primeval stage of evolution. They were chased here by a machine race and they defeated them eventually and decided to send all their modern space ships and gadgets and remotely fly them into the sun which was piloted by a half man half machine cyborg creature thingie.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I believe we are all descendants from a man named Adama. He and his mates came to earth while we were still in our primeval stage of evolution. They were chased here by a machine race and they defeated them eventually and decided to send all their modern space ships and gadgets and remotely fly them into the sun which was piloted by a half man half machine cyborg creature thingie.:thumbsup:
I expected you'd say something like this: "We are descendants of the first generation of master cleaners. They took over the world from the primates.:laughing:"

·
Registered
115 Posts
Now I can die in piece, I know who invented the coat hanger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts