Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a home “as is” and thought these were superficial stains I could clean. over the years I have used goo gone, paint remover, and cleansers if all sorts.

It is the inside pane. it looks like residual stains left by a window privacy film. any tips to remove it would be so appreciated
Sky Natural landscape Wood Trunk Road surface

Cloud Sky Wood Road surface Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Rectangle Wood Grass

·
Registered
26 Posts
WCR (windowcleaner.com) offered these suggestions to remove window tinting glue

1.Ammonia works great
Get a squirt bottle 50/50 water to ammonia
Make sure you have ventilation and try to do it when nobody is there because the smell is rough but it’ll come right off spray it on let it sit for a minute then it will scrape right off

2.Rubbing alcohol breaks down the glue residue
3. To prevent rapid evaporation cover wet glass with newspapers. Some guys say plastic trash bags.Let it soak for fifteen minutes or longer if needed. Scrapes off even better.
Brad BD Janitorial

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a home “as is” and thought these were superficial stains I could clean. over the years I have used goo gone, paint remover, and cleansers if all sorts.

It is the inside pane. it looks like residual stains left by a window privacy film. any tips to remove it would be so appreciated View attachment 3814
View attachment 3812
View attachment 3813
I think you will need to replace those windows. In my experience, that type of staining can not be removed.

Touch the window and see if you can feel the stains. They look to me to likely be between the window panes. If you do somehow figure out how to remove, please let me know! I own a window cleaning business and would love to be able to offer a new service!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best method is to cut a corner of the tint with a knife and then peel. After removing the window tint, clean the adhesive residue with fine steel wool and ammonia. Then, using dish soap, remove any dirt from the glass and dry it with paper towels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts