Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have done some reading on most topics. I like the way people speak their opinions and was looking to see if I could get one from all of you. I am about to do a wool carpet job and was wondering if there are any pre-cautions I should look out for? If I could get any imput on this, it would be great. Im glad to be apart of the forum and hope we call all help one another figure out these basic jobs.

Thanks much!

Rhett

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that you are not supposed to go over 165 degrees and are not supposed to go above 8 on the ph for prespray. If there is anything else I need to be aware of let me know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rhett,

Alkalinity is more important than pH - but that would require an explanation far more detailed than can be dealt with here. A Woolsafe® logo on a product is your best assurance that it is suitable for use on wool.

Wool can hold more dry soil than syntetic fibres so pay attention to you pre-vacuum.

Keep your temperature below 65°C (149°F) to be safe and make your customer aware in advance that damp wool has a characteristic 'wet dog' odour. This is an indication of the quality of the carpet, not a failure on your behalf but good ventilation and the use of air movers will do much to mitigate this and also bestow a better hand to the pile.

The use of an acidic rinse agent can often stabilise loose dyes.

Always groom the pile as tool marks that are allowed to dry in can be difficult to later remove.

That should get you started :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
For keeping good wool carpet I can suggest different methods for maintained it. Dry foam and absorbent pad, steam cleaning, Oxy cleaners and area rug stain removal all methods are very much essential for maintain the wool carpet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Care should be taken when using "oxy cleaners" as these can result in colour loss and yellowing of wool fibres. Like most professional carpet cleaners I have seen many cases of irreparable damage caused by 'supermarket shelf remedies'.
Is it Oxy cleaners worth to use it? I heard a lot about it. But, I have not been try it before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Such carpets are not only the most costly kind of carpet you could buy, but as with everything, you also get what you pay for. They have an excellent natural ability to resist wear and tear, and the ability to resist most stains far enhanced than any synthetic fabric.

chicago damage restoration

·
Registered
66 Posts
Max,

Whilst I agree with much of your comment, I cannot agree on the matter of stain resistance. Due to the high absorbency of wool, staining matter penetrates far deeper and is therefore more difficult to remove.

An additional benefit of wool lies in its inherent fire retardant properties.

Ruby,

As a professional cleaner, surly you are acquainted with pH; in simple terms the measure of acidity / alkalinity. Oxidisers are a very useful tool but can be dangerous in the hands of the uneducated and inexperienced user.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is so many different ways to handle wool rugs, at least if you do any research on the topic. A company like Woolite does not recommend using a lot of moisture during the cleaning process. Another article I read talked about flooding an area rug with cool water from a garden hose. Its confusing trying to figure out fact from fiction.

Assuming you are using proper ventilation to aid in the drying process. Is it OK to flood an area rug with cold water then use an extractor to get out as much water as possible? From what I've gathered improper chemical selection and the use of excessive heat are the real issues. I figure moisture won't cause the rug to fail/shrink. After all wool grows on sheep and they live outside and get rained on all the time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We should use some special products that we have use for wool. Sometimes lower temperature, lower pressure and special drying precaution should be use for cleaning wool

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a before and after shot.
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The pictures don't' really do justice to how good this rug came out. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

The real surprise with the dry time for this wool carpet. Wool sure holds more water than synthetic fibers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts